“In their 20s, people think they’re invincible and that they’re never going to age, but that is when you really need to develop good habits, because it will last you a lifetime,” said Dr. Debra Jaliman, board-certified dermatologist and author of Skin Rules: Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist.
As a 21-year-old, I can say that this is true. I’m someone who continuously leaves their makeup on while they sleep, and then the next day, I wake up to smudged eyeliner and few small pumps beginning to grow on my face.
After doing research and reading articles from POPSUGAR, Glamour, and more, I’ve compiled a very important list....
Here are 20 VIP healthy skin tips for girls in your 20s:
- Don’t skip sunscreen. Ever.
- It's never to early to start using anti-aging cream. It doesn't have to be too expensive.
- Drinking from a straw can cause wrinkles. This is truly tragic to hear, especially if you’re wearing your newest lipstick and don’t want it to smudge. One way to decrease the chances of having early wrinkles around your mouth is by using a retinol cream every night around your mouth. You can also use it on your forehead.
- AVOID SMOKING AT ALL COSTS.
- Try not to cross your legs so much. Varicose veins, though genetics will answer if you get them, can be caused by continuously crossing your legs. To help prevent that, try crossing at the ankles and if you’re standing for long periods, make sure to evenly spread the weight from foot to foot.
- Have acne? Go to a dermatologist! If you want to try at home treatments, then look for products that are water based, oil-free and contain salicylic acid (make sure they’re a lotion or gel).
- Stay active.
- Wash your face every night – especially if you’ve been wearing makeup... not only will this help prevent breakouts, but also you’ll be helping your skin avoid premature wrinkles.
- Start using an eye cream. Along with that anti-aging cream, and retinol, start using a daily eye cream to help keep wrinkles at ease.
- Use facial peels to help rejuvenate your dull skin. Look for ones with Glycolic acid, it’s one of the most effective exfoliators, and helps with that glowing after look.
- Cleanse your skin at least twice a day!
- Drink water daily.
- If you’ve got brown spots, use a skin lightener (or a BB/CC cream that’s a shade lighter).
- Avoid tanning. I feel like this one is a given. Excessive tanning can lead to premature wrinkles, sunspots, and eventually age someone severely.
- Avoid excessive drinking.
- Check to see if your diet is what’s causing any breakouts.
- When showering, use lukewarm water. Using super hot water can eventually lead to dry skin.
- Learn what type of skin you have (oil, dry, combination) and from there, get educated on products that benefit your skin type.
- Moisturize your skin every single day.
- If you’re going to pop a pimple, think twice. Using our hands to pop icky pimples can lead to scarring, and the bacteria found on our hands could eventually lead to more breakouts or other damages.