By: Lakeisha Jones
We all know that drinking water is important, but how many of us really know why? What is the importance of drinking water, and what benefits do we get from it? More than half of the human body is made up of water and we are constantly losing water through perspiration and urination. It is critical to maintain the water levels in our body to battle dehydration and keep our organs working properly. Every single system that makes up the human body uses water and without it our bodies cannot function normally. When it comes to weight loss, drinking water is crucial. Not only does water flush out the toxins in our bodies, but often thirst is confused with hunger. This is why it’s recommended to always drink water prior to your meals to avoid overeating.
How Much Water Each Day?
So how much water is enough? Most people have heard the 8 by 8 rule (drink 8, 8oz glasses per day) which is roughly 2 litres per day. Some argue that this rule has never been proven correct or incorrect, but it’s a safe bet and an easy rule to remember. However, one of the easiest ways to tell if you’re getting enough water is to look at your urine. A pale or light yellow color means that your body is hydrated, whereas a bright yellow color means you have not had enough fluids!
It’s also important to note that most other beverages like juice, tea, coffee, and pop are water based and do contribute to your daily fluid intake! (However, they usually contain sugars and calories that water doesn’t!)
8 Creative Ways to Drink Enough Water
So what can you do to ensure that you’re getting enough water? The best way is to keep your water fun and mix it up. Here are 8 ways to make your water exciting:
1. If you’re an iPhone or Android user you can download the app Waterlogged on your phone that tracks how much water you drink. It also allows you to set daily goals and reminders, and holds you accountable for how much water you’ve had to drink.
2. Indulge in a cute water bottle to keep on you throughout the day and fill periodically. Drinking out of an adorable water bottle is way more exciting than using a cup or a recyclable bottle-and it can reduce your carbon footprint! We love these detox water bottles by Cassie Ho.
Contigo also makes a great glass and stainless steel bottle that is spill proof, BPA free, dishwasher safe, and super cute!
3. Write your goals on your water bottle in sharpie to ensure you stay hydrated during the day.
4. Make lemon ice cubes! Get 3 or 4 lemons and an empty ice cube tray, squeeze the lemon juice in and freeze! Voila! You have lemon ice cubes to add to your water for a little extra flavor.
5. You can also add flavor to your water by infusing it with fruit. This is called detox water. Try combinations like strawberry, lemon and mint or cucumber, lemon and orange. Fool around with different flavors until you find one you can’t resist! You can pre-make a big batch of infused water in a pitcher or mix it right into your water bottle.
6. If you enjoy drinking fruit juices, cut your juice with water. This reduces your calorie intake and also gets more water into your system.
7. Make a rule if you’re going to have an alcoholic beverage or a glass of wine after a long day. Make yourself drink “X” number of glasses of water extra before you’re allowed your drink. This will also keep you hydrated…which is the opposite of what alcohol does!
8. Think about a variety of temperatures…hot, cold, and warm! Start your morning with a hot cup of tea, drink cold water through the day, and have warm water with honey before bed!
The most important thing to remember is to keep it exciting and new. Drinking water is only boring when you let it be. So make it fun and stay hydrated and healthy!