When you wake up on a Sunday morning, with a killer headache, makeup still on, and struggling to remember what happened the night before, you are probably in need of a serious hangover cure.
And while you could lay in bed all day and just wait for it to pass, there are several tricks you can use to help kill the hangover and get on with your day’s productivity.
Here are 5 ways to kill a nasty hangover:
- Drink water - The most important thing you can do for helping with your hangover is to drink plenty of water. Water is required to flush the toxins out of your body and it is also required by the liver to be able to function and perform its detoxification tasks... not to mention, the processing of all the alcohol the night before would have used up a lot of the water you had consumed, leaving you more dehydrated than normal.
- Exercise - It may sound like the last thing you want to do, but there's something to be said for sweating it out. A hangover occurs because of the toxic byproducts leftover in your body from the liver attempting to metabolize and eliminate the alcoholic. As a result, it makes sense that the sooner you can get rid of the toxins and have them released from your body, the sooner you will start to feel better. Sweating is a great way to release these toxins and speed up the hangover curing process. Whether you go for a run, hit the gym, or simply go outside for a walk all are great forms of healthy hangover cures!
- Use Activated charcoal - If you've ever heard the eating burnt toast helps cure a hangover, you may be totally correct. It's not the toast itself however; it's the charcoal on the toast. Another great hangover cure is to consume activated charcoal. Charcoal is a natural detoxifier, which acts via chelation. This means it binds to the toxins within the body, which stems from the alcohol metabolism, and then sends them to be eliminated. Dissolve the charcoal in a glass of water and drink up.
- Look after your liver - Your liver bears all of the responsibility when it comes to metabolizing and eliminating alcohol from your body. A hangover is the residual work of this metabolism and the liver is still working hard to move the alcohol through your body. Therefore, it is important to look after the liver and keep it functioning optimally so it can do its job efficiently. You can do this by eating bitter foods, consuming dandelion root tea and drinking milk thistle tea.
- Drink Tea – Boost your hangover curing mission by consuming teas specifically designed to help beat your hangover and help return your body to normal. One of those is Skinny Teatox’s Drink Me Hangover Tea. It contains milk thistle for liver support, peppermint and fennel to ease your upset stomach, and lemon balm, which aids in reducing the negative affects that alcohol causes due to being acidic on the body.