If you’ve been on a weight loss journey and have been working to rid your body of toxins as part of the process, you’re likely familiar with detoxifying foods like ginger and leafy greens, and detoxifying additions to your diet such as lemon water and apple cider vinegar.
But if you want to take your detoxification to the next level, it’s time to add some of these ingredients to your routine:
- Bentonite Clay – This clay functions via chelation, binding toxins in your body and pulling them out to be eliminated via the intestines or your lymphatic system. It is especially beneficial for removing toxins in your mouth and gut, if you tend to have dysbiosis, or bad breath due to poor digestion. You can simply mix it with water and swish it around in your mouth, drink it down, or blend it into your smoothie. But it doesn’t stop there: use it to cleanse your skin as well! Add a bit of water to 1 tablespoon of the clay and use your hands to mix it into a thick paste. Rub it all over your face, leave for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off. The chelation action will help draw toxins out of your skin, improving your complexion and helping to reduce breakouts.
- Activated charcoal – If you’ve ever been told that a good way to help with a hangover is to eat burnt toast, there’s validity behind what sounds like a friends dreams of getting over their induced pain. Burnt toast, contains charcoal on the burnt sides, which actually helps remove toxins from the body. sold in health food stores as activated charcoal, this detoxifying ingredient is made just as you would expect: by extracting the charcoal from wood and then washing it in specific ingredients so that the pores of the charcoal open up and give it the ability to house toxins. When you consume it, it acts via chelation: it sticks to the toxins in your body and then pulls them out and sends them to elimination pathways. Add this black powder to your smoothies, oatmeal or make into an elixir with chaga mushrooms. Beware though, it will stain things black, so clean it up quickly if you get it on your clothes or counter!
- Moringa – This green powder is made from the leaves of the moringa tree and has several health benefits. It is useful in helping treat anemia and other disorders of the blood such as high blood pressure and is a source of antioxidants. The leaves are packed with vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C for boosting immune health, and it is also high in fiber. This fiber means it can act as an appetite suppressant, filing you up, but more than that, it helps move food and toxins through the intestines, cleaning out your elimination pathways and aiding in detoxification. Add this powerful powder to your smoothies, or sprinkle on top of your morning oatmeal.
- Macqui – This berry is rich in Vitamin C. boosts the immune system health of the body and is a powerful antioxidant, sitting close to the same level as the famed acai berry. It’s detoxing benefits are elicited via the muscles where it acts to facilitate muscle recovery and repair. Part of this is detoxifying the toxins or excess lactic acid build up from the muscles so they are able to function optimally and support the rest of the body. given these characteristics, it is especially beneficial to athletes to add to recovery supplements and boost repair of muscles.
- Chlorophyll – Chlorophyll is the potent antioxidant that gives green plants their green colour. It also acts to provide a host of nutrients to the plant and helps look after the overall health. As such, when extracted, it is exceptionally high in nutrients and the potent green colour means it is rich in antioxidants. The antioxidants are important for ridding the cells of free radicals, unwanted chemical compounds or toxins within the body. It can then use its powerful house of nutrients to boost the free radical damages cells, allowing these cells to function more efficiently and more effectively carry out their functions and own cleansing and detoxification processes.