It’s after dinner. You had a great meal, but now you feel like a little something else to sip on and enjoy while you sit on the couch and unwind from a long day. While many people may reach for the bottle of wine – which is okay 1-2 nights a week – instead, opt for these healthier selections:
- Plain Water – It will likely come as no surprise that the best beverage for you to consume in the evening, (or any time) is water. If you haven’t met your daily water requirements, it’s time to drink up and meet your quota. And if you have, you can always drink more: it aids in detoxification, helps alkalize your body, promotes healthy liver function, fills you up and boosts your digestion. If you are looking for something a little more tasty, infuse your water with lemon and mint, lime and ginger, fresh berries or orange and pineapple. It might be that perfect sweet treat for after dinner that you are looking for!
- Tea – It’s always time for tea. And while it used to be black tea or earl gray or English breakfast as the main go tos, the options for tea flavours, and tea varieties have increased dramatically. Now you can get flavoured teas, tea leaves, tea bags and tea for your health. You can use tea to help heal you when you are ill, boost your immune system, support your liver and improve your breathing and lung function. There are even teas for issues related to PMS or indigestion. Do yourself a favor and find a reputable source for organic, all natural teas and explore some new varieties that you can stock up on.
- Kombucha – This is for those nights when you want a fizzy drink but know that you need to stay away from the soda. Or better yet, for those nights when all your friends are over drinking and having a few beers and cocktails and you are looking for a healthy option instead. Kombucha is a naturally fermented tea drink, that becomes carbonated in the process of fermentation. The result is a fizzy drink that you can flavor however you wish (berry, ginger, lemon etc.) and enjoy on the rocks or with some sparkling water for an extra fizzy beverage!
- Matcha Latte – If you are thinking you really feel like something hot and comforting like a coffee or a latte, stay away from the caffeine and opt for matcha instead. A type of green tea made from ground green tea leaves, matcha is incredibly high in antioxidants. Make it with coconut milk or almond milk instead of dairy and you will get a nice boost of protein and healthy fats and the subtle natural sweetness of the milk will be perfectly satisfying!
- Sparkling Water – When plain water just won’t cut it, sparkling water is the way to go. It is a little extra special, seems a little more fancy, and like plain water, does great when you dress it up with lemon, berries, herbs and seasonal fruit. It is also a great choice for if you aren’t really a fan of water and have a hard time getting in enough each day. Since meeting your daily requirements is so important, opt to have sparkling water as an alternative if plain water proves difficult to consume in adequate amounts.